printable banner

U.S. Department of State - Great Seal

U.S. Department of State

Diplomacy in Action

Foreign Press Centers Media Credential Application Guidelines (New York, NY)

The Foreign Press Centers (FPC) issue its own press credential that is recognized by various organizations in the New York area and allows access to FPC facilities and services in New York, NY and Washington, DC.  The FPC credential is typically valid for three years and renewable at the end of that period for members of the media on continuing assignment in the United States.  To apply for an FPC credential from the New York Foreign Press Center (NYFPC), please be prepared to submit the following documents to the New York FPC Media Relations Officer responsible for your geographic region.

IMPORTANT: You must call the NYFPC at (646) 282-2830 to schedule an appointment before coming into the NYFPC to submit your media credential application package.

(1)  An original, recently dated letter from the director of the media organization for which you work, written in English on the organization's letterhead, confirming your assignment to the United States.  The letter should include your title/position and the duration of your assignment;

(2)  An original letter on consulate letterhead from the press attaché of the consulate in New York of the country in which your organization is based attesting to the bona fides of the media organization;

(3)  Passport and proof showing that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.  Qualifying documents include a valid U.S. passport or other evidence of U.S. citizenship, a valid "I" visa or other appropriate temporary worker visa, evidence of refugee or asylee status, or a U.S. permanent resident "green" card; and

(4)  An article and/or news piece that you filed recently with your media organization from the United States.

*If you need a New York DMV letter for a driver's license, please see below.

FPC Credential Renewals:  The procedure for renewing an FPC credential is the same as applying for a new one, except that you will not be required to submit an embassy/consulate letter if you have not changed media organizations.

Please Note:  If at any time you change media organizations, please immediately notify the Media Relations Officer responsible for your geographic region in order to obtain a new credential.

*The New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires all "I" Visa holders in New York City to obtain a letter from the NYFPC before issuing a New York State Driver's License or Photo Identification Card.  In order to receive this letter, you need to be registered and in good standing with the NYFPC and the letter from your news organization must contain your duration of assignment in New York.  Duration of assignment must be a specified date (month/day/year).  If you need a letter for the Department of Motor Vehicles, it can be obtained during your registration appointment or in a separate appointment scheduled with your designated regional Media Relations Officer.  Please note that appointments are required in order to register and/or obtain the DMV letter.

New York Foreign Press Center Physical Address:
New York Foreign Press Center
799 U.N. Plaza, 10th Floor (Entrance is located on 45th Street)
New York, New York  10017
Phone: (646) 282-2830 | Fax: (646) 282-2847

Other Media Credentialing Information for New York


The  New York Police Department  (NYPD) issues press passes to journalists who frequently need to cross police lines as part of their professional duties.  Detailed information and instruction on how to apply for an NYPD press pass can be found on their website at


United Nations credentials are needed for access to the United Nations headquarters in New York.  Detailed information on how to apply for UN media credentials can be found at