The Foreign Press Centers (FPC) issue its own press credential that is recognized by various organizations in the area and allows access to the FPC facilities and services in Washington, DC and New York, NY. The FPC credential is typically valid for three years and renewable at the end of that period for members of the media on continuing assignment in the United States.
To apply for an FPC credential from the Washington Foreign Press Center (WFPC), please submit the following documents to the Washington FPC Media Relations Officer responsible for your geographic region. Application packages may be submitted via email, U.S. postal service, or at the Washington FPC reception desk.
(1) A completed application form;
(2) An original, recently dated letter from the director of the media organization for which you work, written in English on the organization's letterhead, confirming your assignment to the United States. The letter should include your title/position and the duration of your assignment;
(3) An original letter on embassy letterhead from the press attaché of the embassy of the country in which your organization is based attesting to the bona fides of the media organization;
(4) A copy of the biodata/photo page of your passport and copy of document showing that you are legally authorized to work in the United States. Qualifying documents include a valid U.S. passport or other evidence of U.S. citizenship, a valid "I" visa or other appropriate temporary worker visa, evidence of refugee or asylee status, or a U.S. permanent resident "green" card;
(5) One recent passport-size color photo or image file, e.g. jpg format (Note: Photo must be no older than six months); and
(6) An article and/or news piece that you filed recently with your media organization from the United States.
FPC Credential Pick-Up (Washington, DC only): You will be contacted by the Washington FPC once your application has been approved and your FPC credential is ready for pick-up from the Media Relations Officer responsible for your geographic region.
IMPORTANT: Average processing time for a Washington FPC credential is TWO working days from the date on which all required application materials are received by the Media Relations Officer.
FPC Credential Renewals: The procedure for renewing an FPC credential is the same as applying for a new one, except that you will not be required to submit an embassy/consulate letter if you have not changed media organizations.
For the Washington FPC Media Application Form, click here [186 Kb]
Please Note: If at any time you change media organizations, please immediately notify the Media Relations Officer responsible for your geographic region in order to obtain a new credential.
Washington Foreign Press Center Physical and Postal Address
Washington Foreign Press Center
National Press Building
529 14th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20045
Phone: (202) 504-6300 | Fax: (202) 504-6334