Title: Announcement: Launch of Innovative Public-Private Partnership to Create the World’s First Fund for Global Food Safety
Time: Saturday, November 12, 3:20pm – 3:50pm (subject to change)
· Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing Director, World Bank
· Demetrios Marantis, Deputy U.S. Trade Representative
· Robert Hormats, U.S. Under Secretary of State for Economic, Business, and Agricultural Affairs
· Nancy Lindborg, Assistant Administrator, U. S. Agency for International Development
· Mr. Frank Mars, President, Mars Symbioscience
· Dr. Rohit Khanna, Vice President, Worldwide Business, Waters Corporation
· Ms. Pamela Bailey, President and CEO, Grocery Manufacturers Association
Description: The speakers will provide perspectives on, and involvement in, an innovative public-private partnership that has pledged US$1 million for the creation of the world’s first Fund for Global Food Safety, building on the tripartite model pioneered by the APEC forum for regulatory cooperation on food safety. Administered by the World Bank, the proposed fund will leverage APEC’s unique food safety training programs and industry and World Bank resources. This innovative public-private partnership has secured generous seed money from Mars Incorporated and Waters Corporation, as well as from United States Agency for International Development. The initial pledges announced on November 12 in Honolulu meet the threshold amount required to establish the fund and will provide the platform for new private and public sector contributions. The fund’s goal is to raise $15-20 million over the next 10 years. This public-private partnership is built on the recognition that food supplies are global and food safety systems are under-resourced. Strengthening food safety systems is critical in order to safeguard public health, and promote food security, global food trade and economic development. Food and waterborne diseases are leading causes of illness and death in developing countries, with a mortality rate of some 2.2 million each year, mostly children.
Open to all CEO Summit-credentialed media. Please gather in the Press Filing Center for the CEO Summit at the Sheraton Waikiki by 2:45 pm.